We're proud to announce that the newest Jurassic London anthology, The Book of the Dead, is now on sale. Well, kinda. The limited edition is - well... for pre-orders.
The Book of the Dead is published in partnership with the Egypt Exploration Society, the UK's oldest independent funder of archaeological fieldwork and research in Egypt, dedicated to the promotion and understanding of ancient Egyptian history and culture.
The anthology features ninetween new stories about the most fascinating of the undead: the mummy.
Contributors include Gail Carriger, Maria Dahvana Headley, Jesse Bullington, Paul Cornell, Molly Tanzer, Will Hill, Jonathan Green, Louis Greenberg, David Bryher, Maurice Broaddus, Roger Luckhurst, Glen Mehn, Jenni Hill, Lou Morgan, Sarah Newton, David Thomas Moore, Den Patrick, Michael West and Adam Roberts. It is introduced by John J. Johnston, Vice-Chair of the Egypt Exploration Society and illustrated by Garen Ewing.
(The illustration for Jesse Bullington's "Escape from the Mummy's Tomb" is shown here.)
The Book of the Dead is released as a paperback and an ebook on 29 October. Plus, there's a launch party - so you should come along.
Right now, we're taking orders for copies of the limited edition. This is an edition of 100 hand-numbered hardcover copies - with gold-embossed titles, midnight blue buckram covers and dark cream endpapers. Sultry, eh? Plus, The Book of the Dead is bound in cloth... literally. We then seal each copy in wax and impress it with the cartouche of the Egypt Exploration Society. Because of its unique construction, purchasers of the limited edition will also receive a copy of the ebook for free. (That way they can leave it sealed... forever.)
(However, entombed within this edition is an exclusive illustration by Garen Ewing that will not appear in any other edition or format...)
Interested in a copy? They're on sale exclusively through Spacewitch.com. If you're keen on getting one though, I suggest moving quickly...
Full table of contents and a bit more fluffery below the jump.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: "Some Words from an Egyptologist" by John J. Johnston (Egypt Exploration Society)
- "Ramesses on the Frontier" by Paul Cornell
- "Escape from the Mummy's Tomb" by Jesse Bullington
- "Old Souls" by David Thomas Moore
- "Her Heartbeat, An Echo" by Lou Morgan
- "Mysterium Tremendum" by Molly Tanzer
- "Tollund" by Adam Roberts
- "The Curious Case of the Werewolf that Wasn't, The Mummy that Was and the Cat in the Jar" by Gail Carriger
- "The Cats of Beni Hasan" by Jenni Hill
- "Cerulean Memories" by Maurice Broaddus
- "Inner Goddess" by Michael West
- "The Roof of the World" by Sarah Newton
- "Henry" by Glen Mehn
- "The Dedication of Sweetheart Abbey" by David Bryher
- "All is Dust" by Den Patrick
- "Bit-U-Men" by Maria Dahvana Headley
- "Egyptian death and the afterlife: mummies (Rooms 62-3)" by Jonathan Green
- "Akhenaten Goes to Paris" by Louis Greenberg
- "The Thing of Wrath" by Roger Luckhurst
- "Three Memories of Death" by Will Hill
Illustrated by Garen Ewing
Edited by Jared Shurin
The Book of the Dead will be published on 29 October in three formats:
- Limited edition (100 copies, exclusive through Spacewitch.com) - ISBN: 978-0-09576462-47
- Paperback (available worldwide through Amazon and other retailers) - ISBN: 978-0-9576462-5-4
- Ebook (available worldwide through Amazon, Kobo and other retailers) - ISBN: 978-0-9576462-6-1
A portion of all proceeds from sales of The Book of the Dead is donated to the Egypt Exploration Society.
Released simultaneously: Unearthed, edited by John J. Johnston and Jared Shurin. Unearthed is an anthology of eleven long-forgotten, classic stories of the mummy, lovingly resurrected from the editors' personal collections. Unearthed will be available as a paperback and an ebook, more details to follow.