Someone on Buzzfeed posted 18 top dating lessons from Mr Darcy. Yes, that Mr Darcy. There are lots of gifs of Colin Firth and Matthew Mafadyen, in period costume, scowling. It's very cute and very positive... and completely wrong. Here are the real dating lessons that we can take from a book written nearly 200 years before dating was a thing.
1. If you like someone, boss him or her around.
2. If you don't like someone, insult that person. And also everyone that person cares about.
3. If you're attracted to someone, double down on the insults and bossiness. This may seem counter-intuitive, but you've got an end-game in mind.
4. Are you really rich? It helps if you're really rich. People are very forgiving of the rich.
5. But do remember that people are occasionally very unforgiving of the rich. Practise acting a little self-conscious about all your money; this will make you appear humble.