The 7 Best Horror Movies Ever
Friday, July 17, 2015
Open Culture pulled together a list of the 93 favourite films of legendary director Stanley Kubrick - based on interviews with Kubrick and his family and a search through old magazine articles.
For the hell of it, I compared this list with the horror movies recommended by Stephen King in the appendix of Danse Macabre.
This is fun, not only because these are two of the greatest minds in horror, but also because they have very different taste - something they've both acknowledged in the past.
So, arguably, any movie that makes both their lists would be the best horror ever - something so great it is acknowledged as such by two conflicting experts.
- Alien - Ridley Scott (1979)
- Deliverance - John Boorman (1972)
- Eraserhead - David Lynch (1977)
- The Exorcist - William Friedkin (1973)
- Picnic at Hanging Rock - Peter Weir (1975)
- Rosemary's Baby - Roman Polanski (1968)
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Tobe Hooper (1974)
Incidentally, only one Kubrick film was on King's list: The Shining.