Last night saw two literary awards recognise speculative fiction.
The Kitschies, now finishing their seventh year, handed out the following prizes:
- Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last (Red Tentacle - Novel)
- Tade Thompson's Making Wolf (Golden Tentacle - Debut)
- Jet Purdie's cover for Sally Gardner's The Door that Led to Where (Inky Tentacle - Cover)
- Square Enix's Life is Strange (Invisible Tentacle - Digitally Native Fiction)
- Patrick Ness for his fundraising efforts for Save the Children (Black Tentacle - Judges' Discretion)
Meanwhile, over at the Baileys Prize, the judges released this year's longlist, and we're delighted to see Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet hobnobbing alongside Kate Atkinson and Hanya Yanagihara.
The Long Way is a gorgeous, beautiful book, and it is wonderful to see it tearing up (and tearing up, homonyms!) the literary establishment. Becky's also a regular contributor here - way to class up the joint, Chambers! The shortlist for this terrific prize will be announced on 11 April.